Hey, y’all! Are you in the mood for some good old-fashioned comfort food? Our tasty scrumptious Best Scalloped Potatoes would be your perfect choice. With thinly sliced spuds smothered in a cheesy sauce and a hint of diced onion, these potatoes are the perfect side dish for any meal Whether you’re a seasoned pro in the kitchen or a beginner cook, you can’t go wrong with this classic recipe. So, roll up your sleeves, preheat your oven and let’s get cookin’!
Remember it later
Like this recipe! Pin it to your favorite board NOW!
What do We need to make the Best Scalloped Potatoes?
Potatoes: The main ingredient, potatoes are sliced thin to create layers in the dish.
Butter: We use butter to get the onion sauté as well as creating a roux for the sauce.
Onion: Adds flavor to the dish.
Flour: Thickens the sauce.
Milk: it is used to make creamy sauce.
Cheese: to add flavor and it helps to thicken the sauce.
Salt and pepper: we use them as food seasonings.
How to make the Best Scalloped Potatoes
Set the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) and butter a 9×13-inch baking dish to start prepping your oven and baking dish.
Potatoes should be thinly sliced.
Melt the butter and cook the onion in a pan over medium heat until tender.
Create a roux by combining the flour and adding the milk; whisk continually to prevent lumps.
For two to three minutes, simmer the mixture to get it to thicken.
Add pepper and salt to taste after mixing in the cheese.
Using a baking dish, place the pieces of potato, then pour the tasty cheese sauce.
use the foil as a cover for the dish and start baking, then remove the cover and give it another 30 minutes baking until the potatoes are soft and tender, and its top becomes golden brown
Tips for making yummy scalloped potato
- To ensure even cooking, make sure to slice the potatoes as evenly as possible.
- we can use a bit of extra milk to thin the sauce out it gets too thick.
- You can also add some finely chopped spices or herbs to the sauce for flavor.
The step-by-step instructions delicious scalloped potatoes pictures can be found in the recipe card below.
Questions and answers about Best Scalloped Potatoes
Potatoes recipe scalloped variations
You can also add other vegetables, such as sliced carrots or sliced mushrooms, to the dish.
For a different twist on the recipe, you can use a different type of cheese, such as Gruyere or cheddar.
You can also add cooked bacon or diced ham to the dish for added flavor.
What do you serve with the Best Scalloped Potatoes?
They are delicious with roasted meats, such as pork or beef, and can also be served alongside poultry or seafood. They also pair well with a green salad or steamed vegetables.
Have a look at our other Potatoes recipes, how about Recipe Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes or FRIED POTATOES PEPPERS WITH SMOKED SAUSAGE
Can you freeze the potato recipe scalloped?
Yes, our recipe can be frozen.
Before placing the potatoes in a freezer bag or other air-tight container to freeze, allow them to cool. In the freezer, they’ll last three months.
To reheat, bake the frozen potatoes for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated through, at 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit ).
How do you store the recipe of scalloped potato?
Scalloped potatoes keep best in the fridge, where they can be kept for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Reheat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until well heated, in a 350° F (175° C) oven.
Calories in Best Scalloped Potatoes recipe
Scalloped potatoes can be quite calorie-dense due to the cheese, butter, and milk used in the recipe. A serving of this recipe would likely have around 300-400 calories.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment and rate this recipe.
I would love to hear from you and really appreciate your comments!
I will always do my best to reply to every comment as soon as possible.
Thanks for following! And have fun cooking!
Best Scalloped Potatoes - Delicious Recipe For Dinner
- 4:5 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oven temperature set to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees C). It is necessary to butter a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Over medium heat, place a large skillet to melt the butter in.
- Sauté the onion until softened after adding it.
- Stir the flour to make a roux.
- Pour the milk in gradually and continuously whisk to avoid lumps.
- Simmer the mixture for two to three minutes, or until it thickens.
- Add the cheese, then taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
- In the lined baking dish, arrange the potato slices in layers.
- Over the top, pour the sauce.
- Bake the dish for 30 minutes with the foil covering it.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes but after removing the foil or until the potatoes are soft and their top becomes golden brown.
- Before serving, allow to cool for a while. Enjoy!
Enjoy all the recipes. Keep up the great ideas cheers Us.